Facility managers are the ones who by profession encompass a variety of disciplines to ensure comfort, functionality, efficiency, and safety of the established environment by combining process, place, technology, and people. In short, facility managers are the one who manages your organization’s most significant possessions with the largest budget for operation.
Facilitate managers who hold different positions and arrive from various career paths. Their main job is to ensure whether the work environment is safe to play, learn, work and leave. The faculty manager must make the workplace more sustainable, comfortable, and productive.
WHAT ARE THINGS FACILITY MANAGERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR?
FMs essentially help the business by looking after the services that assist the organization; they are responsible for ensuring that other organizations do their work.
Their job includes:
- One of smart facilities management primary responsibilities is to oversee security, cleaning, parking, and catering-related issues. An organization needs these basic things to continue staying in business. Although having better security or food does not bring profit, it makes the workplace more attractive for employees and clients. As a result, well-qualified workers will work for your organization.
- Facility managers had to manage multi-disciplinary teams of workers, including maintenance, security, cleaning. The duty of FM does not end after setting up groups to do their job. They also had to make sure everything was working alright.
- An organization cannot work without water; it is FM’s duty to make sure that the organization’s water needs are fulfilled all the time. Even in drought or any other natural disaster, the office needs its water supply to work.
- It is the Facility Managers job to ensure cost-effectiveness and manage the budget. A certain amount is allocated for the office to run smoothly; the FM has to make sure that everything is being used at total capacity and turn down unnecessary expenses. The Facility Managers can also advise the higher-ups or business owners on increasing energy efficiency and becoming more cost-effective.
- If the organization has a set of buildings on its property, then managing the space between the buildings and allocating space for every department falls on the Facility Manager.
- To do business at a particular place, the organization has to meet that standard set by the government; everywhere in the world, the government has set essential health, environmental and security-related standards. If the company doesn’t follow the standard, the government might cancel the company’s permit. FM’s job is to ensure that the government’s regulations are followed.
- The renovation jobs mostly fall on the FM. Also, if the company is shifting somewhere else, then the Facility Managers have to find a place to lease.
SKILLS EVERY FACILITY MANAGER SHOULD HAVE
The facility manager has to have excellent communication skills and influencing power as they have managed various aspects of the office, with that they also have to supervise different teams.
They should also have analytical power and decision-making skills to guide their subordinates.
To make things cost-effective, they need to have commercial awareness.
WHY SHOULD WE CARE ABOUT FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
Facilities management is an integral part of building a business; to gain the best profit from a business, you will need to provide your employees with a great working environment, making them more productive as a worker. Nowadays, business owners are looking a smart facilities management where systems and technology are integrated into building facilities making the organization cost-effective and enhancing productivity in the office.