Hair loss which in medical terms is called alopecia is a common problem faced by millions of people worldwide. It can be devastating to lose your hair but, in most cases, there is treatment available. However, you must know the underlying cause of the hair loss by visiting a dermatologist. It is a misconception that hair loss occurs only in men. It is estimated that nearly 50% of the women population suffer from hair loss at some point or the other. Let us study some of the most common causes of hair loss.
1) Age- hair loss comes usually with advancing age. At all ages, our cells grow and die but at an older age, the cells die more quickly than it grows. Also, the production of oil in the scalp begins to reduce as we age which makes our hair weak and brittle and eventually cause thinning and hair loss. Some people, at an older age also suffer from androgenetic alopecia, or pattern hair loss which slowly can almost make you bald.
2) Genetics- another reason for hair loss is hereditary. If your parents or grandparents have suffered from androgenetic alopecia, it may just pass on to you. That is why we often hear that this particular type of hair loss is inherited form your paternal or maternal family. A number of gens are responsible for causing this.
3) Hormonal changes- hormonal changes in the body can also cause hair loss, especially in women. Most often women experience drastic hormonal changes during pregnancy, menstruation, menopause, childbirth and hypothyroidism. It is during these times that a woman’s hair growth is affected. Sometimes even medications or changing medication routines can cause hair thinning. For example, worn who stop taking birth control pills may experience hair loss. But the good news is that you can slow down the hair loss or reverse it with personalized treatments.
4) A stressful life event –if you have been under immense stress or have had a stressful experience like losing a loved one, or being diagnosed with a critical illness, you may see hair loss. All of a sudden you may just see your comb entangled with plenty of hair when you brush your hair with it. You may also wake up to see your pillow covered with hair or your shower drain full of it. You may feel you are going to get bald, but this is not the case. Once you’ve got out of the stress, your body readjusts, and the hair loss stops. Things becomen0rmal in a few months’ time.
5) Nutritional deficiencies- if you suffer from certain nutritional deficiencies, you may experience hair loss. Deficiency in iron, vitamin D, and zinc have all been shown to cause hair loss. Vitamin deficiencies can easily be corrected with dietary supplements. However, you must talk to your doctor before you try any new supplements.
There are a number of hair clinic in Bangalore which helps cure the problem of hair loss. So bid adieu to your hair loss problem by visiting the best hair loss clinic in Bangalore.