Math vs Statistics: Differences between math and statistics
People who study advanced mathematics will always have this question: what are the differences between math and statistics? Some people will say that statistics are more likely to be a part of mathematics. but it is not true. It is more than that. If we can understand the core concepts of math and statistics, we can clearly distinguish the differences between math and statistics.
Statistics, of course, has a significant relationship with mathematics but it is not entirely related to it. Saying statistics as a branch of math is totally misleading. Statistics is a separate branch that makes use of mathematical concepts. but it differs a lot from math. It is the study of uncertainty. The way of thinking definitely differs for both the subjects. In this blog, we will see math vs statistics, the top differences between them.
What is mathematics?
No one can define mathematics using a single statement. But we can say that it is a study of numbers, space, quantities that also involves the use of operators. From simple calculations to complex applied math concepts, math involves everything.
Math is a core subject starting right from school till graduation and without math, quantitative study is not possible. After schooling, there are numerous mathematics departments from which you can choose according to the specialization you are interested.
The main concept of math is that first, we define an object, then we agree on it and lastly, we try to prove it. After proving a concept, we will try to understand the properties of the object. This is a common concept that math uses.
What are statistics?
Statistics is a specialized study that is related to the collection, interpretation, analysis, and translation of data. Humans discover new complex tasks every day. As the complexity increases, the management of data is also needed to be taken care of. Statistical operations have their base from mathematical operations.
People who are in the field of statistics tend to work with real data which is quite messy. It helps in analyzing and forecasting the results from raw and insufficient data. Statistics are used in various fields such as business, stock markets, investments, governments, and more. The main focus of statistics is improving data’s quality and making the interpretations easier.
Math vs statistics: Applications
The application of mathematics is listed below:
- Mathematics helps in predicting the weather. Since the weather is a complex system that involves numerous interactive molecules, mathematical models along with the help of supercomputers do this tedious task.
- Internet is a huge, gigantic network that involves millions and millions of devices connected together. Mathematical theories and concepts are used for creating internet services.
- Mathematics helps in epidemic analysis. Using mathematical equations, disease outbreaks and their responses are analyzed.
- Tomography and MRI use advanced mathematics for creating three-dimensional images of solid objects.
- Public key cryptography uses mathematics. Without mathematics, encryption and decryption are not possible.
- Satellite navigation uses GPS to provide accurate information. It involves the usages of mathematical generalization to measure the distances required.
- We rely on the help of search engines almost every day to solve our queries. Search engines like Google use mathematics for their services. They use mathematics for various purposes such as mail spam detection, text recognition, detecting faces, etc.
The applications of statistics are listed below:
- Statistics helps researchers in testing the hypothesis, confirming the theories, and providing better conclusions. It helps to reduce errors and assists the researcher to provide accurate conclusions.
- Statistics help in making accurate surveys. Surveys are needed to be carefully designed and implemented because these surveys can help the government to determine the effectiveness of various firms.
- Statistics also help in determining the cause and effect of a particular disease and this helps in developing preventive measures.
- Statistics help in determining the economical problems of a country. It helps in understanding the economical problems and formulating economical policies.
- Psychology also uses statistics for studying human behavior and for predicting thoughts and actions.
- Statistics has its significance from small to larger companies for analyzing the current financial situation of the organization and for predicting the important steps to be taken for the company’s growth.
Math vs statistics: Differences between them
|1. Math follows theorems and proof structures and well-defined facts are present in math.||1. It is a field where people handle real-life data and the study is more likely to be abstract.|
|2. It involves understanding numbers, space, measures, and structures.||It involves collecting, sorting, interpreting, and representing data.|
|3. It is a broad and vast field of study||3. It is a specific field and deeply associates with math|
|4. Math deals with concepts that are abstract and metaphysical. It has a wider scope||4. It involves the usage of physical data and has limited scope.|
|5. Math is an academic subject||5. It is a part of applied math.|
Though math and statistics differ in various aspects, they both are useful for leading a human life. They two become correlated at times since statistics being part of mathematics. There are numerous opportunities available for people who pursued their careers in math and statistics such as statisticians, mathematicians, business analysts, research analysts, and more. Hopefully, this blog would have helped you in understanding math vs statistics and the differences between them.