How to Backup Netgear Router Using Default IP Address?
Performing factory reset is the ultimate solution to resolve most of the Netgear router issues. But, let us make it clear that doing so will erase every current setting from your router. So, we recommend you back up the settings of your Netgear wireless router. Just in case you are unfamiliar with the process to back up the router’s settings, here are the do-follow steps.
Steps to Back Up Netgear Router’s Settings
- Plug your Netgear WiFi router into a wall socket.
- Switch on the Power button.
- Ensure that the power LED on your Netgear router is stable.
- Now, connect your router to the modem with the help of an Ethernet cable.
- Once your WiFi devices are connected properly, run a ping test on your computer to check the internet connection. Therefore, type ping 192.168.1.1 in the Command Prompt and hit Enter.
- Launch a web browser on your PC.
- Move the cursor to the address bar of the web browser and type 192.168.1.1 IP address in it.
- Press the Enter key.
- The Netgear router login page will appear.
Note: If the router login page does not appear, try accessing the 192.168.1.2 IP address.
- Enter the default username and password of your Netgear router into their required fields and click the Log In button.
- On the Netgear router setup page, select Advanced > Administration > Backup Settings.
- Click the Backup button.
- Specify a location for the backup file on your PC and save it.
Now that you have saved a backup file of your Netgear router’s settings, you are ready to perform factory default reset.
Go through the steps given below to restore your Netgear WiFi router to its factory default settings.
Steps to Reset Netgear WiFi Router
- Ensure that the router is receiving enough power supply and the power LED is glowing green.
- Now, look for the Reset button on your Netgear router.
- Grab a pin-like object that is handy and press the Reset button with its help.
- Your Netgear router will get restored to its factory default settings.
Now, you need to reconfigure your Netgear router by accessing the 192.168.0.1 IP address. Once done, it is time to restore the settings of your WiFi router.
How to Restore Your Netgear Router’s Settings?
- Log in to your Netgear router with the default username and password.
- On the Basic Home screen, click the Maintenance menu.
- Select the Backup Settings option.
- Click the Browse option and locate the backup file you’ve saved on your PC.
- Once found, upload the file.
- Click the Restore button to update your Netgear router’s previous settings.
In this way, you can restore your Netgear router to the settings that were configured previously on it.
Checkpoints While Performing Backup and Restore
- Confirm that your Netgear router is placed away from WiFi interference devices. Otherwise, these devices can create interference in the path of your router’s WiFi signals.
- Always turn on your Netgear router using a working power source. Also, avoid powering up your router via a surge protector.
- Connect your WiFi devices properly so that you won’t face any issues while performing backup and restore of your Netgear router’s settings.
- Remember to use a damage-free Ethernet cable.
- Ensure that the IP address you are entering to log in to your router is correct. If the 192.168.1.1 IP address doesn’t work, try using the 10.0.0.1 IP instead.
- Fill in the default login credentials carefully as they are case-sensitive. the reason being, a little mistake can cause hurdles in performing backup and restore of your router’s settings.
This was all about how to back up your Netgear router’s settings. We hope that you’ll be able to do so and restore the WiFi settings of your router after performing factory default reset. Thanks for reading the article.